Thursday, June 28, 2012

Planning for the Big Day

So for anyone that knows me, which I'm guessing the 5 people who read this blog do...they know that I have been planning the wedding of my dreams since, well, forever. I used to dress up in my Mom's veil and a white dress and pretend to marry just about anyone I could think of. Back then it was the likes of Big Bird and Robin (the one from Batman & Robin).  My vision of my wedding has definitely changed over the years, and when it came time to plan my actual wedding, I went with a color scheme I hadn't previously thought of. *Author's note, I realize I'm ending a lot of sentences with prepositions, but I really just don't care.*

Colors
- Green & Pink - lovely colors, but they were so lovely that most of the weddings I have been in have had Green has a main color (Hi Natalie & Kim!) so while I agree that it would've made for a pretty color scheme, I kind of wanted to go a different direction than other peoople.
- Navy Blue & Coral - I LOVED this color scheme, but in a moment of honesty, my Virginia Tech Hokie alumni self could not use colors that were so close to UVA colors. Wow, that sounds really stupid when it's written out. But...it's true.
- Peacock colors - Green, Purple, Turquoise - I really loved this one, but it felt a bit to "wintery" to me, and I knew we would be having a Spring or Summer wedding

What I went with:
Yellow & Gray, with an accent of Eggplant Purple. My thoughts on choosing this? I liked the way Yellow & Gray look together (I've actually decorated or plan to decorate our master bedroom in these colors, so I really LOVE them). I wanted an accent color and I like dark purple, so I rolled that into the mix.

The Date:
I originally wanted an early May wedding. But Kenny's older brother and his fiance (who got engaged a year before us), were nice enough to wait to have their wedding when Kenny was back from deployment. So because of that, they got first dibs on a date. And they chose April 27. I didn't think it was fair to ask friends/family that would be attending both weddings to go back to back like that, so I wanted a date farther out.

I wanted June 2, 2012. But our reception venue already had that date booked and I wanted the reception venue more than I wanted the date. So I pushed it back to the next available date, which happened to be June 9. This also happens to be the day after my Aunt & Uncle's anniversary and the day before my parent's anniversary. They've been married for 34 years...so I figured it was good luck :)

So, that's the back story on those things. I promise tomorrow I will have pictures!

1 comment: