Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Kitchen

When I got to Jacksonville, Kenny had 3 plates, a bowl and about 10,000 utensils. I'm not really sure why you need that many utensils when only 3 people can eat off a plate - but who knows.

So this is what it looked like when I got here and had unpacked a few of our wedding gifts. There's a large window in an area that is labeled a "breakfast nook." But we weren't planning on using it for a table, so I had to think of another use for the space.
Once again, knowing the colors of the bottom floor were green, brown, yellow and teal, I went to work on finding matching towels. Luckily, I had green curtains from my previous bedroom in my old apartment. And luckily, they happen to work with the color green were were going with.

Here's the to do list we had:
- Towels
- Pot holders
- Picture Frames for Wall space
- Calendar
- Cork Board
- New Trash Can (with a lid)
- Buffet/Storage for extra serving dishes
- Key Hanger

I found some towels at Target that matched our color scheme. I'm actually still on the hunt for pot holders...we got a trashcan & a key hanger/chalkboard from Target also.

The key/hat hanger
Side note: yes, I do live at Target as my second home. And we were fortunate to get lots of gift cards for wedding gifts. So thanks to our friends and family for making our home pretty :)

We found a buffet table at World Market. It's supposed to be a bookcase, but it worked perfectly for a buffet/storage for our serving dishes. Most importantly, it was on sale.

Next up were some crafty projects. I wanted a cork board where we could pin up receipts, grocery lists, funny pictures, cards, etc. Basically stuff you'd put on the fridge, but you run out of fridge space or magnets.

I bought a 3 pack of cork board at Micheal's & bought a shower curtain on sale from Home Goods (it was $5!) and decided on a little DIY. I cut a piece of the shower curtain to match the corkboard + a little bit more for the overhang of stapling it on. Then I got my staple gun, and stapled the fabric to the wood frame around the corkboard. I then got some binder clips (that matched the color scheme) and tacks to hold everything on the board.
I bought a smaller cork board and repeated the process to make a holder for our calendar. I found a template somewhere online, I seem to have lost the link, and printed that out.

Next up was some kitchen art. I found really cute printables here. The red one didn't go with my color scheme so I ended up just making one myself in brown that said "Mix It Up" with a whisk on it. I had some more picture frames so I ended up taking a piece of the fabric I used for the corkboards and put that in a frame. Along with another printable I made that just says "Milk, Butter, Eggs."

I used paper templates that were the same size as the picture frames so I could adjust and move them around till I found a position I liked. I then hung them all.
Also, this guy was in an ad that was on the sheet of paper I used as a template. Is this not the CREEPIEST thing you've ever seen? Why would you put Uncle Fester in your CPAP ad?

So now for the After Pictures with everything done:
To Do List:
- Towels
- Pot holders
- Picture Frames for Wall space
- Calendar
- Cork Board
- New Trash Can (with a lid)
- Buffet/Storage for extra serving dishes
- Key Hanger
Only have to find potholders that I like and then the Kitchen will be officially complete :)

No comments:

Post a Comment