Monday, July 16, 2012

Wedding Reception

Blogger really doesn't want me to write about the wedding reception. I have seriously tried to write this post about 5 times, and every time it deletes pictures or crashes...so I might have to break it up into parts. The first part being the "typical" reception pictures (first dance, cake cutting, etc.) and the second part being the "SUPER fun" part - aka everyone shaking their booties.

As explained before, our limo ended up breaking. Which, in reality, was a good thing. Because they sent us a "Party Bus" instead and it ended up being way cooler (figuratively and literally) & more comfortable than a regular limo would've been.
The other newlyweds
Hanging out
Just Married!
It looks like he's being romantic. In all reality, he was probably telling me something about his "pretty fuzzhead" aka his dog.
Richie moved back to the VIP row :)

Some "details" pictures:
The dining room all set up
The Head Table
Guest Table
Our Centerpieces
The Menu Cards
The Gift Table
Gift Table
We actually thought a lot about the song we wanted to get introduced to...I think this was the thing that Kenny has the most thoughts on. We decided to go with Metallica's "Enter Sandman." Here's why:

1. It's an amazeballs song
2. It's what the Hokies run out to before every game
3. Click here for evidence of how amazeballs this song is and what it means to me (and all other Hokies).
Susan & Rob

My fellow Hokies' reactions to hearing "Enter Sandman"
Ashley and Jeff walking out
Mr. & Mrs. Charlie Prindle ;)
Natalie & Brad
Christy & Richie (not sure what Richie is doing and it looks like Christy isn't too sure either).
The Bridal Party waiting for us
Lieutenant and Mrs. Kenny Prindle :)
After making our entrance, we had our first dance. It was Kenny Chesney's "Me & You". Less thought went into this than the entrance song. I've LOVED this song since I heard it like 10 years ago, and we both like Kenny Chesney. And Kenny didn't immediately disapprove it upon hearing it, so it was that song for the win.

Neither of us are into being the center of attention. Our hope/plan was to dance for about a minute and then run away. But when we told the DJ that he was like "I'll wait until I get the sign from the photographer's that they got all their shots." Both of us were like "um, what?!" so we ended up dancing longer than expected and we were talking about how awkward it was that everyone was staring at us, as we were dancing. True Love.

After the first dance, everyone made their way to the dining room for speeches, toasts and dinner.
I look very serious.
My dad, doing his welcome speech
Pretty Ashley :)
Father Baez saying our dinner prayers
We had 2 Maid/Matrons of Honor and 2 Best Mans...I know, could we be any more divalicious? They all made speeches, with Richie being the last person to go and make the toast. I know how nervous they all were (well at least Christy and Susan) but they all did such an amazing job. We definitely felt blessed to have these people as our support system and our friends, and know that they will be there for us for years to come.

After the toasts, it was dinner time! We actually had our food delivered to the "holding room" that we all were in during cocktail hour. That way we had time to eat dinner, but could immediately start talking to people as soon as they were served their dinner. Something that I would definitely recommend doing.
The DiLeones


After dinner, the DJ put on some music. It was just a little something to get the dancing muscles warmed up before the party started later.

My main concern was people having fun, as well as myself and Kenny having a good time. I wanted to get all the "traditional" things out of the way as soon as possible. That way if the older crowd wanted to take off, they didn't feel like that had to wait around. And then everything would be done, so we could dance and not have to be interrupted.
Both their husbands couldn't be there, so they were each other's dancing partners :)
The Prindles :)
Jay and Andrea - they are next!
Cara, Chris and Baby Walczak ;)
So presh!
My cousin and her husband
Daddy/Daughter dancing
My cousin, the flower girl, was so beautiful!
My Uncle John & Jenny
One of the only other times we got him on the dancefloor
Fancy moves
Taking a break from the dancing, I was thirsty
The Burnside Landing Girls with our Mommas
My second Moms
<3
All of us with the Moms
After some dancing, it was cake cutting time. We hadn't talked about what were going to do, smash or not smash, but you can see me threatening Kenny in the next pictures. "I paid too much money for this hair and makeup, you better not mess it up!" He was trained well and was nothing but a perfect gentleman ;)
Our cake
People, waiting for us to cut the cake
Waiting for directions on what we're supposed to be doing.
Using Kenny's sword to cut the cake
I was struggling trying to get that piece of cake out.
This was right after I threatened him :)
After the cake it was time for Father/Daughter and Mother/Son dances. My Dad and I danced to "My Girl" by the Temptations (my dad's favorite band) and Kenny & his mom danced to Louis Armstrong "It's a Wonderful World." I, surprisingly, managed to keep it together during our dance. I think it was because the song was so upbeat and my dad kept making me laugh.
My dad was singing to me :)
After those dances, we went into a little bit more dancing (I will put those with the other dancing pictures) and then it was time for the garter and bouquet toss.
Sarah and I were having a "single ladies" dance party to ourselves.
By my aggressive hand motions, I think this was the "you should've" part of the song.
Haha, Susan and Sarah obviously did not want to catch the bouquet
After the bouquet toss, it was time for the garter. At least, that's what I thought. So I sit down in a chair, and Kenny is standing in front of me. I'm waiting for the DJ to play the song we chose for the garter removal. And I'm looking at Kenny like "Why is this taking so long?" And then a song starts playing, a song that is NOT the song I chose for the garter removal but the song "You've Lost that Loving Feeling." See here for the original made famous by Top Gun. All of Kenny's guy friends/ushers/groomsmen ended up reenacting that scene, with Grant taking the mic to sing since he knew all the words. Being serenaded by lots of handsome guys? It was pretty awesome! Every bride should try it.
Rob and Joey leading the way



Even Kenny's dad got in on the action!

Haha, this is my "I can't believe this is happening" face.

After the serenade, it was time for the real garter. Nothing fancy, or dirty, just a quick retrieve.
It was pretty high up there - thanks to Susan ;)
Of course I had to have a Hokie garter
Susan, giving the boys directions. But it looks like only Ryan, Colin and Chris are listening...
I think Kenny was assessing the obstacles on the ceiling.
My 15 year old cousin, Gavin, caught the garter
This was me, making sure everyone knew Saxton caught the bouquet
Gavin put it on her leg and then literally ran away
Kenny & I with Sarah and Gavin
Fun back story on the garter catch...

My parents were married June 10, 1978. My dad's nephew (my cousin), Jason, was 10ish at the time and ended up catching the garter. Fast forward 34 years to June 9, 2012 and Jason's son, Gavin, caught the garter at my wedding. O'Brien family tradition upheld.

So those were the traditional reception pictures. Tomorrow comes the booty shaking...

2 comments:

  1. I was smiling the whole time I read this. Even though I think I have looked at your wedding pics a hundred times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, of course, never look at my wedding pictures.

    And by never, I mean ALL THE TIME. I love all the ones coming on the next post of people dancing. Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete